International Estate Planning
Our law firm is experienced in international law and estate planning. We represent a diverse clientele both in the U.S. and internationally. Many of our clients have assets abroad, and we personally handle their estate planning or coordinate with experienced counsel in those jurisdictions to ensure adherence to the local jurisdiction. Our experience with our international clients enables us to professionally complete their requests both in the United States and overseas.
If you are an individual who:
- Owns homes outside the U.S.
- Has children, a spouse or parents who live in other countries
- Has a spouse who is not a citizen
- Works for a multinational corporation in an office abroad
- Is a “foreigner” who has investments in the United States
- Has international investments
Such individuals have unique concerns when providing for their families and protecting their commercial interests in the event of death or incapacity, and almost always require high-level advance planning because they are subjected to different estate and income tax laws.
We focus on each client’s individual needs to develop a customized plan, which generally addresses the following:
- International income and estate taxes, including the creation of U.S. and non-U.S. entities and structures
- U.S. gift and generation-skipping transfer taxation
- Jurisdiction selection and conflicts of laws
- Specialized planning to anticipate future jurisdictional changes
- Protection and transfer of assets to local and foreign beneficiaries
We also represent foreign clients with U.S. business interests, family members in the United States, or those with intent to immigrate to the U.S. We assist these clients in maximizing U.S. tax advantages and the most tax-efficient methods of transferring investments to their heirs. Our business areas regarding overseas clients are primarily focused with China, Taiwan, the United Kingdom, and Korea.